Middle School Race Team
Hickory Hills: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays; 3:30 - 5:00 pm
Crystal Mountain: Wednesdays; 4:00 - 6:00 pm
- Includes MSRT weekday training and MSRT races/coaching
- Does not include Sunday Races
- Includes bussing to all Middle School Races
- Includes bussing to/from Crystal Mtn on Wednesday for training
- Due to transportation driver shortages in our region, we are unable to offer bussing to/from practices at Hickory this year. Parents are encouraged to carpool in small pods.
GTSC Middle School Races - Tentative and subject to change – See GTSC Calendar
- Typically 4-5 MSRT races/season around local/Northern Michigan
• Indoor spaces may be limited in lodge except bathrooms – plan accordingly
• Bring camp chairs!
• Bring your own food – lunch/snacks/drinks – some concessions open dependent on hill
This program is for skiers in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade, and has the same focus as the Ski Club’s Instructional Ski Clinics. MSRT is intended for athletes with ski experience looking to increase confidence, ability and have a great time!
- Must be in 6th, 7th or 8th grade, or age/grade appropriate as allowed by coaches
- Athlete must have baseline experience in downhill skiing – understands how to put on all equipment independently, use tow ropes/chair lifts, and get down hill safely.
- Complete programming forms located at bottom of this page
- Ski all terrain independently, safely navigate racecourses - perhaps race on High School Team
Coaches – Ian Sterling, Zach Mikowski – Head Coaches
MSRT Program Details
- Includes all weekday training as shown on the schedule above
- Includes approximately 5 middle school races per year as shown above, subject to change
- BUSSING NOT OFFERED 2020-21 SEASON
- Will have MSRT races at Nubs Nob and Boyne Mountain
- All races are optional but highly encouraged and FUN!
- Miss some school for these
- Pass included
- Remaining races at Hickory or Holiday
- After school hours
- Need parent volunteers
- Parent transportation for local races
- Pass included (Holiday)
- Be on time, hop out of vehicle prepared to ski.
- Respect Coaches & peers, 110% effort, safety
- Race day volunteers – watch for sign-ups – may be imperative to volunteer if spectators not allowed
- Will need parents at races to help with working race (gate keeping, etc.) and possibly other (TBD)
MSRT COVID-19 Information for 2020-21:
Passes – Required and NOT included in the sign up fee
- Hickory Hills
- Crystal Mountain - 1 day pass
Gear – Race gear needed - required for safety – recreational gear is not appropriate
- Will race GS and Slalom – please talk to coaches if need guidance – they are happy to help!
- Need race capable gear:
- Skis – can have separate GS and Slalom – or one pair that work for both
- Boots – VERY important to have the right fit – please ask coaches/shops to assess
- Helmet – safety first –
- Chin bar - Slalom requires
- GS - No chin bar – so needs to be removable
- Gloves/shin guards/poles/goggles/arm guards/back pad/speed suit/ski socks
- Good place to get help: Coaches, Don Orr, Ski Swap, Parent Meeting
Optional GTSC Add-Ons, Fees Not Included:
- GTSC Sunday Races
- Skiers are encouraged to participate in Sunday Races at Hickory, as this allows them to qualify for various regional ski invitationals against other clubs.
Please contact Tonya Lewandowski (email@example.com), the GTSC Middle School Program Coordinator with any questions about the programs. Registration questions can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are the forms that you must fill out and return to GTSC in order for your registration to be considered complete. Please email to Tonya Lewandowski (email@example.com) by December 1, 2021.
- Season Pass Waiver for Minors (Ski Racers) and/or Adults (Coaches and Chaperones)
- Snow Sports Release for all Participants
- Emergency Contacts (coming soon)
Thanks and looking forward to a great season!!