USSS Race Team
Hickory: Mondays, Thursdays; 3:30 – 5:00 pm
Crystal Mountain: Tuesdays, Wednesdays; 4:15 – 6:15 pm
Includes USSS training, Region 3 USSS weekend race coaching and all MSRT races/coaching
Does not include Sunday Races or out of Region 3 race coaching
This program is meant for athletes in grades 6, 7 and 8 who are looking to add extra intensity to their training sessions during the week and wish to compete in United States Ski and Snowboard Association (USSS) weekend Region 3 races. USSS athletes intend to race in high school, and perhaps beyond.
Program Fee Includes:
- USSS Weekday Training
- USSS Region 3 Weekend Race Coaching
- MSRT Races – Fees and Coaching
- Must be in 6th, 7th, 8th grade, or age/grade appropriate as approved by the head coaches.
- Racer has previous race experience and meets all USSS member/safesport criteria.
- Racer must register and pay separately for all USSS national dues. Learn more HERE.
- Racer must register and pay separately for all USSS Region 3 dues and have had all equipment necessary to meet USSS race regulations. Learn more HERE.
Coaches – Austin Johnson, Craig Davidson, Austin Skibowski
Training – Monday through Thursday – will begin on snow ASAP – weather dependent TBD
Program Details - USSS training and racing is a bigger commitment than MSRT – additional race opportunities on weekends.
- USSS weekday training – see above schedule
- Middle School Races – Included - see MSRT programming link for details
- USSS Region 3 Race weekend coaching – https://www.region3cussa.org/
- All races optional – but really the benefit to being in USSS
- Coaching at Region 3 USSS race weekends included
- USSS Race Schedule – https://www.region3cussa.org/page/show/1963408-region-3-calendar
- All USSS race sign up is done separately by families for each race – through myUSSS account – NOT INCLUDED
- Race fees are extra and paid per race for a racer
- Races typically Saturday and Sunday – can sign up to do one or both
- Passes at race mountains not included
- Parent transportation
- To be eligible for any USSS events/racing - NEED TO REGISTER with USSA and REGION 3 to participate – make account per racer/online (see info above)
- USSS & Region 3 registration – not included in GTSC fee!!
Program Does NOT Include – Below are available at an additional fee – NOT included in $800 USSA programming fee.
- USSS Region 3 Race fees – https://www.region3cussa.org/
- See above sign up and race fee information
- USSS Qualifying race weekends – Shelly Glover & Hosking Junior Championship Qualifiers - races held at Marquette Mountain in Marquette, MI
- These races are optional for all USSS racers – but if your racer wants to try qualifying for the Junior Championships in CO, have to participate and qualify at Hosking race
- Coaching not included – fee based on how many participants through GTSC
- Parent transportation necessary
- Lodging not included – family responsible for arrangements
- Race sign up is done individually by families for each race – myUSSS account
- Race fee dependent on how many days/race
- Schedule is out – https://www.region3cussa.org/page/show/1963408-region-3-calendar
- Races ~Fri-Sunday, usually additional training available on Thursday.
- USSS Junior Championships – have to qualify at above races, held in Colorado in March, all additional and TBD.
- GTSC Sunday Races – additional sign up and fee through GTSC
MSRT Races – see detailed schedule above
• Typically 4-5 MSRT races/season around local/Northern Michigan
USSS Races – see detailed Region 3 schedule above
• Most weekends, Sat/Sun around Northern Michigan/U.P.
• Register your racer independently for races through my.usskiandsnowboard.org acct
- Be on time, hop out of vehicle prepared to ski.
- Respect Coaches & peers, 110% effort, safety
- Be responsible for yourself and all your gear
- Race day volunteers – watch for sign-ups – may be imperative to volunteer if spectators not allowed
- Will need parents at races to help with working race (gate keeping, etc.) and possibly other (TBD)
- This year parents expected to help with food/drink for coaches – this helped us eliminate additional per diem costs
Passes – Required and NOT included in the sign up fee
- Hickory Hills- Season pass
- Crystal Mountain - Season Pass
- For weekend Region 3 USSS races - all passes will need to be purchased separately for each race by families the day of race – NOT included.
USSS Gear – Quality race gear needed - required for safety – recreational gear is not appropriate
- USSS athletes will race GS and Slalom – possibly Super G at qualifier races - please talk to coaches if need guidance – they are happy to help!
- Need quality race gear; refer to: USSS guidelines https://usskiandsnowboard.org/sport-programs/rules-equipment/alpine-equipment.pdf
- Skis – see USSS requirements - recommend separate GS and Slalom skis
- Boots – VERY important to have the right fit – please ask coaches/shops to assess
- Helmet – see USSS requirements
- Chin bar - Slalom requires
- GS - No chin bar – so needs to be removable – FIS sticker required
- Gloves/shin guards/poles/goggles/arm guards/back pad/speed suit/ski socks
Optional GTSC Add-Ons, Fees Not Included:
- GTSC Sunday Races
- Skiers are encouraged to participate in Sunday Races at Hickory, as this allows them to qualify for various regional ski invitationals against other clubs.
NOTE: USSS Programming sign up INCLUDES USSS Weekend Race/Training sign up – DO NOT sign up separately for that GTSC option!
We believe that one must develop great ski skills before one can be a great ski racer. In accordance with this philosophy, we will perform many drills, especially those emphasizing pressure, edging, rotary, and balance, in order to refine our fundamental ski skills. We will limit our time training in racecourses as we believe in quality rather than quantity. We want to train and build proper ski mechanics so that our athletes become fundamentally strong skiers with a lifelong passion for the sport.
The athletes will work closely with the GTSC coaches who will coach the athletes at weekend USSS races and/or weekend USSS training (TBD). Our head USSS coaches are Austin Johnson and Craig Davidson. Austin is a Traverse City native and former member of the USSA Development Program who competed on the Nor-Am circuit and in Europe. Austin’s unique racing experience has shown him the ski skills that are necessary to build a foundation for successful racing at the highest levels of the sport. Craig comes to GTSC after decades as very accomplished alpine ski coach for the WIN and Pinnacle programs, bringing with him a wealth of knowledge and experience. Craig’s enthusiasm is contagious as he looks to take our athletes to a new level!
Please contact Tonya Lewandowski (email@example.com), the GTSC Middle School Program Coordinator with any questions about the program timing, and transportation. Registration questions can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each athlete will need to complete the following forms and return to Tonya Lewandowski no later than December 1, 2021. Please email
- Athlete Code of Conduct
- Parent Code of Conduct
- GTSC Waiver
We look forward to a great season of fun ski racing!
We look forward to a great season of fun ski racing!