USSA Weekend Race Day Coaching & Training
USSA Weekend Race Day Coaching & Training is meant for athletes who wish to race in weekend USSA Region 3 races and need coaching representation. This program fee also includes GTSC USSA weekend training days offered only when there is not a USSA Region 3 race. This program is only for racers not registered for the GTSC USSA Race Team.
NOTE: Skiers registered for GTSC USSA Race Team DO NOT need to sign up for this as it is already included in USSA Race Team fees ($800)
- Race Day Coaching at all Region 3 USSA Races
- GTSC weekend USSA training (when no Region 3 races – will be announced)
Registration for 2020 clinics opens Nov. 15th at 6:00 am on our home page. Early registration is encouraged as space is limited.
- Racer has previous race experience and meets all USSA member/safesport criteria.
- Racer must register and pay separately for all USSA national dues. Learn more HERE.
- Racer must register and pay separately for all USSA Region 3 dues and must have all equipment necessary to meet USSA race regulations. Learn more HERE.
- Complete necessary programming forms (see bottom of this page for more info)
Coaches: Austin Johnson, Libby Shutler, Evan Culp, Eric Shutler
Program Details This does not include any weekday training – weekends as detailed below
- Coaching at Region 3 USSA race weekends included
- USSA Race Schedule – https://www.region3cussa.org/page/show/1963408-region-3-calendar
- All USSA race sign up is done separately by families for each race – through myUSSA account – NOT INCLUDED
- Race fees are extra and paid per race for a racer (~$25/race)
- Races typically Saturday and Sunday – can sign up to do one or both
- Passes at race mountains not included
- Parent transportation
- To be eligible for any USSA events/racing - NEED TO REGISTER with USSA and REGION 3 to participate – make account per racer/online (see above)
- USSA & Region 3 registration Costs ~$135/racer EACH (so $270) – not included
- MUST COMPLETED ONLINE BY October 15th or assessed late fee!!USSA Region 3 Race weekend coaching – https://www.region3cussa.org/
Program Does NOT Include - Below are available at an additional fee – NOT included in $200 programming fee.
- USSA Region 3 Race fees – https://www.region3cussa.org/
- See above sign up and race fee information
- USSA Qualifying race weekends – Shelly Glover & Hosking Junior Championship Qualifiers - races held at Marquette Mountain in Marquette, MI
- These races are optional for all USSA racers – but if your racer wants to try qualifying for the Junior Championships in CO, have to participate and qualify at Hosking race
- Coaching not included – fee-based on how many participants through GTSC; ~$125-160/racer
- Parent transportation necessary
- Lodging not included – family responsible for arrangements
- Race sign up is done individually by families for each race – myUSSA account
- Race fee dependent on how many days/race – approx. $50/day
- The schedule is out – https://www.region3cussa.org/page/show/1963408-region-3-calendar
- Races ~Fri-Sunday, usually additional training available on Thursday.
- USSA Junior Championships – have to qualify at above races, held in Colorado in March, all additional and TBD.
- GTSC USSA Race Team – additional sign up and fee through GTSC
- GTSC Sunday Races – additional sign up and fee through GTSC
Passes - Required and NOT included in signup fee
- For weekend Region 3 USSA races - all passes will need to be purchased separately for each race by families the day of race – NOT included.
- For weekend USSA training at Hickory – pass will be needed at Hickory Hills – NOT included.
USSA Gear- Quality race gear needed - required for safety – recreational gear is not appropriate
The athletes will work closely with the GTSC coaches who will coach the athletes at weekend USSA races and/or weekend USSA training (TBD). Our head USSA coach is Austin Johnson (email@example.com), a Traverse City native and former member of the USSA Development Program who competed on the Nor-Am circuit and in Europe. Austin’s unique racing experience has shown him the ski skills that are necessary to build a foundation for successful racing at the highest levels of the sport.
Please contact Tonya Lewandowski (firstname.lastname@example.org), the GTSC Middle School Program Coordinator with any questions about the program timing, and transportation. Registration questions can be directed to Heather VanStratt, email@example.com.
Each athlete will need to complete the following forms and return to Tonya Lewandowski no later than December 1, 2019. Please email
We look forward to a great season of fun ski racing!