Ski & Snowboard Swap
GTSC sponsors one of the largest winter gear swaps in the Grand Traverse area. The event is held annually, generally in early November, and draws sellers and shoppers from the 5 county area. Sell your winter gear and/or shop for "new to you items" for the whole family. A portion of sales go to GTSC to make our instructional ski programs more affordable.
2020 GTSC Ski & Snowboard Swap Dates TBA
Equipment Drop Off is generally held on Friday evening
Sale Hours and Unsold Equipment Pick Up is generally held on Saturday
(Ticketed customers enter first, details below)
Location: TC West Middle School Gym, 3950 Silver Lake Road, Traverse City, 49684
How the Swap Works for Buyers:
Doors open to ticketed shoppers at 9:00 am Buyers enter in groups of about 50, in ticketed order, take a long as necessary, and then proceed to check out. At 7:00 am tickets are distributed at the front doors to the gym (Door area/walkway to the left of the school main entrance. Park in the visitor parking lot). Once those who have tickets have shopped, the sale opens to the general public, no tickets necessary. In previous years, general public entry has begun between 10:30 am and 1:00 pm. It varies depending upon the number of tickets distributed at 7:00 am, and, yes, some hardy souls will arrive well before 7:00 am to stand in line for a ticket. The deals are that good! Once you have a ticket, you may leave and return at 8:45 am or later for ticketed admission.
Helpful tips for Buyers:
- Payment is by cash, check or credit card.
- If lining up early for a ticket, 2 tickets are distributed per person. Only two people will be allowed in, regardless of age, with your two tickets.
- If you are shopping for someone else, bring them with you if you need to properly fit them for gear. We do not offer refunds.
- If purchasing equipment, it is helpful to know a skiers' weight, height, shoe size, and ability level.
How the Swap Works for Sellers:
Equipment that you would like to sell may be brought to the West Middle School gym during swap equipment drop off hours (posted above). Volunteers will be available to check you in and tag your gear. Please have prices in mind or ask the "ski shop guru" at the door for pricing advice before heading to a volunteer table. The Grand Traverse Ski Club takes a percentage of each sale to support youth ski programs. GTSC takes a 25% commission on all items except those priced at $10 or less. The entire sale price of items priced $10 or less is donated back to GTSC. Payment from items that sold will be available at equipment/payment pick-up time (hours posted above). Any unsold equipment must be picked up at this time also. Any equipment not picked up will be considered a donation to the Grand Traverse Ski Club – NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are not able to pick up your own equipment, please make arrangements for someone else to do so.
Items that we accept and are usually available at the sale for children and adults:
- Downhill, alpine, telemark, backcountry, alpine touring, cross-country and skate skis, boots, bindings, and poles
- Snowboards and snowboard boots
- Ice skates - hockey and figure skating
- Race suits and shorts
- Protective race gear
- Helmets & goggles
- GTSC logo wear, jackets
- Ski racks, ski bags, and boot bags
- Roller ski and in-line skates
Items we will not accept for sale:
- Non-indemnified ski bindings (old bindings deemed unsafe by their manufacturer and cannot be worked on by ski shops)
- Equipment and gear that is extremely dirty, in disrepair, moldy, broken, covered in pet hair or spider webs, containing animal droppings, etc. We have seen it all! Rusty edges on skis or skates are acceptable.