USSS & FIS Parent & Athlete Meeting - Sunday September 17 @ 7pm, via Teams
Please join us to kick off our season ahead! This meeting is intended for ALL families and athletes - whether you are new to GTSC or been around a while!
The goal of our meeting is to welcome new families/athletes, introduce coaching staff, review upcoming events, FIS/USSS registrations, season expectations and what we know about the FIS & USSS schedules at this point.
Microsoft Teams meeting
Meeting ID: 261 556 772 695
Or call in (audio only)
+1 352-374-3246,,268166276# United States, Gainesville
Phone Conference ID: 268 166 276#
FIS Race/Training Coaching
FIS Race/Training Coaching is meant for athletes who wish to train with our FIS and USSS coaches one day/week and train/race at weekend USSS Region 3 races as well as Central Region FIS races. Under this registration, GTSC FIS athletes will receive coaching representation at up to 3 Central Region FIS race weekends. Rocky region FIS races are not included and coaching/travel expenses will be paid separately as we better understand how many athletes are interested.
This program fee also includes all GTSC USSS weekend training days – these will be offered at race weekends before/between races and at Crystal or Hickory when there is not a USSA/FIS race.
When: Program starts training ASAP in December at Crystal and/or Nubs Nob (weather dependent)
- FIS/USSS team trainings 1 day/week following regular HS practice (day/time TBA)
- Race Day Coaching at all Region 3 USSS Races
- Race Day Training Coaching at all Region 3 USSS races (when allowed)
- GTSC weekend USSS training (when no Region 3 races – will be announced)
- Coaching Fees (including coaching and their travel expenses) at up to 3 Central Region FIS races – races to be determined at FIS pre season meeting with athletes and families.
- There must be a minimum of 5 GTSC FIS athletes to travel to FIS races identified.
- Each race weekend requires at least 1 volunteer parent to help drive, prepare meals, transport kids, etc. This parent stays in venue with coach and athletes per Safesport rules.
- FIS Program fee includes:
- All coaching costs, including coaching, their food, lodging, transportation, lift tickets
- All athlete transportation for themselves and gear
- All food and lodging we can accomodate up to the program fee budget shown. Any overages will be charged at the end of season to athlete families.
- Based on # of athletes attending, the costs may vary season to season.
- As a non-profit - GTSC is committed to keeping costs as low as possible for all athletes and looks to cover costs only.
- GTSC coaching staff is happy to support additional FIS races above/beyond 3 races included in this fee, costs will simply be calculated and paid separately from this registration.
- FIS athletes and coaching staff will discuss at length throughout the season and determine a plan forward with families.
- Racer has previous race experience and meets all FIS & USSS member/safesport/etc. criteria.
- Racer must register and pay separately for all FIS and USSS national dues. Learn more HERE.
- Racer must register and pay separately for all USSS Region 3 dues. Learn more HERE.
- Racer must have all equipment necessary to meet USSS/FIS race and equipment regulations. https://usskiandsnowboard.org/sites/default/files/files-resources/files/2022/2023-Alpine-Equipment-Regulations.pdf
- Complete necessary programming forms (see bottom of this page for more info)
GTSC FIS Head Coach – Craig Davidson, supported by other GTSC USSS coaches.
Program Details – This program includes approx. 1day/week of training following HS training and/or weekends as detailed below:
- USSS & FIS Coaching including:
- Coaching at all Region 3 USSS race weekends (see https://www.region3cussa.org/page/show/1963408-region-3-calendar)
- Coaching at up to 3 FIS Central Region races – see detailed dates and discussion above/below
- All USSS/FIS race sign up is done separately by families for each race – through myUSSA account – NOT INCLUDED
- Race fees are extra and paid per race for racer
- Races typically Saturday and Sunday – can sign up to do one or both
- Passes at race mountains not included
- Parent/athlete transportation to all Region 3 USSS/FIS races.
- Options for FIS coach transport to out of region FIS races will be explored/discussed with FIS families.
- GTSC FIS coach is committed to transporting athletes whenever possible/requested
- Race video when possible – to be shared with athletes via google drive
- Athlete journal review and discussions - goal setting
- USSS & FIS Coaching including:
Program Does NOT Include – Below are available at an additional fee – NOT included in programming fee.
- Race Registration Fees – USSS and/or FIS race registration fees to be paid by athlete through their myussa account
- See above sign up and race fee information
- More than 3 Central Region FIS races, or Rocky Region FIS races
- These races are optional for all FIS racers – but if your racer wants to try qualifying for the U18 Junior Championships please discuss with Coach Craig
- Coaching fee for above additional races not included – fee to be paid separate based on how many participants through GTSC
- Parent transportation necessary
- Lodging not included – family responsible for arrangements
- Race sign up is done individually by families for each race – myUSSA account
- Race fee dependent on how many days/race
- Schedule is out – https://www.region3cussa.org/page/show/1963408-region-3-calendar
- Races ~Fri-Sunday, usually additional training available on Thursday.
- U18 Nationals – have to qualify at FIS races, National races held at Mittersill Cannon Mtn TBD. Coaching, registration and athlete costs not included.
- High School Championship – Athletes chosen for Team Michigan based on points. Races occur spring, 2023 TBD. Coaching, registration and athlete costs not included.
Race Location/Mountain Passes – Required and NOT included in signup fee
USSS/FIS approved Gear – Quality race gear needed - required for safety – recreational gear is not appropriate
- Need quality race gear; refer to: USSS & FIS guidelines:
FIS Coaching - The athletes will work closely with the GTSC FIS and USSS coaches who will coach the athletes at Region 3 weekend USSS races, weekend USSS training (TBD), 1 days/week for HS USSS training, and up to 3 FIS races. Our head coach is Craig Davidson. Craig comes to GTSC after decades as very accomplished alpine ski coach for the WIN and Pinnacle programs, bringing with him a wealth of knowledge and experience. Craig’s enthusiasm is contagious as he looks to take our athletes to a new level!
Please contact above USSS/FIS coaches directly and/or Tonya Lewandowski (email@example.com), the GTSC USSS/FIS Program Coordinator with any questions about the program information.
Registration questions can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each athlete and family is required to acknowledge the following documents and information contained within during the GTSC Registration process through TeamSnap:
We look forward to continuing to build our FIS race program and are excited to help our GTSC athletes reach their goals!!