When: Sundays, January 3 - February 28, 2021 (except 1/31/21, 2/7/21)
Time: 11:30 am Course Inspection, 12:00 pm (Noon) Race Start
Where: Hickory Hills
Cost: TBD for the 2021-22 season
News Bibs: $10 (if you are new to the program, or lost your bib)
To participate, a skier must be registered for one of the following: Advanced Beginner Clinics, Instructional Ski Clinics, USSA or the Middle School Program.
Race course inspection (when skiers have an opportunity to slowly inspect the course with their coaches to become familiar with gate location) is at 11:30 am. Races start promptly at 12:00 pm and end approximately at 3:00 pm. There will be 2 runs of GS and 2 runs of SL each Sunday. The GS and SL runs are individually combined by time on the day of the race and awards are given each Sunday after the race is over, typically by 3:30 pm.
2021 Sunday Race Rules
Athlete age as of 12/31/20 grouped as follows:
- Girls age 0-6 (race on Birch)
- Girls age 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13+ (race on Swede)
- Boys age 0-6 (race on Birch)
- Boys age 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13+ (race on Swede)
Club Race Schedule:
11:30 am - Course Inspection
12:00 pm - Race Start
2021 Race changes:
Awards will not be held after Sunday races
Races will be only one discipline per week with two races per Sunday. Example:
Week 1 = Giant Slalom Race #1 with 2 runs and Giant Slalom Race #2 with 2 runs
Week 2 = Slalom Race #1 with 2 runs and Slalom Race #2 with 2 runs
Sunday Race Schedule: (schedule subject to change)
- Sunday, Jan. 3, 2021 - Tune-Up Race (not scored)
- Sunday, Jan. 10, 2021 - Giant Slalom Race 1
- Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021 - Slalom Race 1 & 2
- Sunday, Jan. 24, 2021- Giant Slalom Race 2 & 3
- Sunday, Jan. 31, 2021 - Slalom Race 3 & 4
- CANCELLED - Sunday, Feb. 7, 2021 - Nordica Winter Rally
- Sunday, February 14, 2021 - Giant Slalom Race 4 & 5
- Sunday, February 21, 2021 Slalom Race 5 & 6
- Sunday, February 28, 2021 (reserved for any race make-up dates)
- Battiste/Welborn Cup: Sunday, March 7, 2021 (N. Michigan Club Championship, must qualify to attend, details below, event tentative)
Weekly Individual Awards:
Ribbons will be awarded for SL and GS by place for the first 15 place finishers for ages 0-6. All other 0-6 racers will be given a participation ribbon, including racers who may disqualify. 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, and 13+ age groups will be awarded ribbons for the first 10 place finishes. Duplicate awards will be given in the case of a tie.
DQ/DNF: Racers that Disqualify (DQ) or Do Not Finish (DNF) a run will be assigned the place of the last place racer in their age/gender group, that day, plus one. All racers within the same age/gender group in a specific race that are given a DQ will be given the same finish position for point totaling purposes.
DNS: Racers that Do Not Start (DNS) a run will be assigned the place of the last place racer in the age/gender group, that day, plus two. All racers within the same age/gender group in a specific race that are given a DNS will be given the same finish position for point totaling purposes.
There is no minimum race participation requirement.
Racers will be able to drop 1 race for each discipline (SL and GS). This means 5 races will be scored for each discipline.
Year-End Awards & Place Standings:
At the end of the season, overall place standings will be compiled for each racer based on the Club Race results, including, if held, the GTSC Invitational results. These place standings will be totaled separately for slalom (SL) and giant slalom (GS) races. Racers may drop a total of 1 race, allowing them to miss 1 race day without penalty.
In the event any races and/or runs are cancelled, we will continue to drop a race out of the total number of completed races to determine overall standings per discipline.
Battiste/Welborn Cup Championship:
Annually, in early March, six to eight Northern Michigan youth ski racing clubs come together to compete at The Battiste/Welborn Cup Championship. This end of the season event is usually held at Boyne Highlands and crowns the Northern Michigan ski club champions. Prizes are awarded to individuals in both Slalom and Giant Slalom events and an overall ski club champion is crowned. GTSC racers must qualify to compete at the event.
Welborn Cup qualifications are based on overall performance, combining the SL and GS results. Results will be determined as indicated above for year end awards and place standings and then the results the SL and GS races are added together. The top five (5) racers in each age/gender group will be given preference to attend. Five club races will be scored. If your racer only attends four races, their fifth race would be scored using their lowest DNS score.
The top five racers (plus one alternate) will be contacted and given the opportunity to attend. If a racer declines, the next eligible racer will be offered the position until all five racer slots are filled with one additional alternate (6 skiers per age group). In the event there are less than 6 available racers in an age group, the next younger age group will be given the option to ski up. Younger racers may race in older groups, but older racers may not race in younger groups. In the event of a tie, priority will go to the racer with the highest participation. If a tie still remains, preference will be given to the skier with the better time at the most recent club race in which the tied races competed.
These are optional events Sunday Racers may choose to register for and attend. Additional fees may apply.
- 2/7/21 - Nordica Winter Rally Nubs Nob (20 racers per age/class, date not confirmed)
- 3/7/21 - Battiste/Welborn Cup at Boyne Highlands (qualification details above, date not confirmed)
- Other than LTS, skiers must be able to use a tow rope independently and ski unattended to participate.
- All skiers must bring and wear a ski helmet and bring their own skis and boots.
- Hickory Hills ski tickets must be purchased separately from the GTSC programs. GTSC Fees do not include lift tickets.
- Parents or guardians must volunteer for at least 3 Sunday Races in order for their skier(s) to participate.
- All racers must wear their assigned GTSC issued race bib for each race. In the event a racer wishes to race but has forgotten their race bib, a disposable race bib may be purchased for that race at a cost of $5. Racers without GTSC approved race bibs indicating their assigned number will not be permitted to race.